How To Make an LED Shadowbox
Elemental customer service representative Tara Bowerman turned in another great DIY project for the month of July, a shadowbox made of cut paper silhouettes lit by LED light strips. The low heat and zero ultraviolet (UV) emissions of 12V LED strip lights are ideal for making a shadowbox or light box, as they cause minimal fading of the art inside.
Here are Tara’s instructions for making an LED Shadow Box :
- 1. Buy a frame; remove the back of the frame and the glass.
- 2. Place transparent image on the back of the glass panel by adhering with a spray adhesive.
- 3. Print a few silhouette images on cardstock to make an attractive composition and cut with an exacto knife.
- 4. Take the images outside and spray one side with black spray paint, and let dry.
- 5. After the images have dried, spray the back of the silhouette images with the adhesive and place on the front side of the picture frame.
- 6. Cut LED strip lights (I used our Flexible LED Strip Light by the foot) into sections to fit on the back side of the glass where you have adhered your transparent material and place directly behind the silhouette.
- 7. Use a small amount of gorilla glue around the inner edge of the frame and place the glass back inside the frame and let dry for 24 hours.
- 8. The number of silhouette images and sections of LED light strip will determine the accessories you need. Here I used three Flexible LED Strip Light DC Plug Connectors to connect the strip sections to the a 3-Way DC Splitter, which plugs into the 12V Inline Dimmer Switch to our 12V Adapter.
- 9. Finally, close the back of the frame with cardboard and attach with a staple gun, be careful not to staple into one of your lighting accessories.
- 10. Enjoy!